Another great day of home learning116 pieces of work on seesaw! Well done guys! I hope you enjoyed your phone calls, I loved seeing your video calls and I had a lovely phone call with Freddie!!! We have got some guided reading, some more of our Beowulf story today, a Maths/PE challenge and a crafty afternoon of Anglo-Saxon house building – I hope you enjoy!

Don’t forget about Mr Barnes’ Keepy Uppy Challenge on the PE Blog

and also the Enterprise ‘Sow the Seed’ idea. I have got my basil seeds ready to take part!

Daily Timetable

1. Guided Reading
  2. English
  3. Maths/PE
  4. Theme

Today’s Challenges

Guided Reading – I thought today rather than just reading your own stories, we would look at a text altogether. I have chosen the start of a novel called ‘The Creakers’ by Tom Fletcher.

Have a read of the prologue of the book and answer the questions – I am happy for you to discuss your answers with an adult at home rather than write them down as we would in Guided Reading sessions at school. However, if you want to answer them in written form, I have uploaded the pages to seesaw.

If you have enjoyed this extract, perhaps you could add it to your book wish list – you never know your grown ups may reward you for all your hard work so far! If it isn’t your style of book – maybe you will like next weeks instead.

English – Your drawings of the characters yesterday were so good and you had such good language choices – well done! I thought today we could listen to the next part of the story…I hope you are excited to find out what happens.

Below is the video of myself reading some more of the story and also an animation from the BBC (the animation is a little scary so parents/carers may wish to watch it first) Today I would like you to listen to the story and then think about the character of Beowulf (your task is below)

Animation – https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/school-radio/english-ks2-ks3-beowulf-part-1/zfymxyc

Your task – I would like you to imagine you are Beowulf and you are just about to leave your home and sail to to Denmark. Imagine you are having a goodbye conversation with your mum or dad to explain you are going and what you are going to do – I want you to tell me what both Beowulf and his parents would say. You could do this as a written conversation, a cartoon strip with speech bubbles or a video of the conversation. I will leave the decision up to you. I can’t wait to see what you do.

Maths/PE – I thought we would have a little bit of fun for the final lesson on length and join together with PE. Have a look at the information below….

Lots of Olympic events require measuring to take place. Can you complete some different physical challenges and measure how far you have thrown/run/jumped etc. Perhaps you could complete the challenge above with a beanbag, maybe you could have a family long jump competition or even a paper plane throwing contest. When I spoke to Freddie on the phone he thought he could throw the ball for his dog and then measure the distance…whatever you choose – you are in charge of the measuring. You might need to measure in paces or strides if you have a big distance, so think carefully. I can’t wait to see your photos!

Theme – Like I mentioned on Monday, today I would like you to build a model Anglo-Saxon house. You can use whatever you want to build it – lego, card, recycling, straw, etc. Use your knowledge and sketches from Monday to help you with your ideas. Below are some ideas I found from the internet, hopefully they will give you some inspiration…

I am not going to set anything else for today as the models may take you a while. I will also only post a small amount tomorrow in order to let everyone catch up. Please post photos on seesaw of your finished models. It would also be great to see some photos of you actually making your models – I love an action shot!

Have a lovely creative day!

Home Learning – Thursday 28.1.21